Now on the Google Play Store, Android launch will make hundreds of hours of content available to Irish audiences, anytime and anywhere.
3rd September 2013; RTÉ Digital; Available from today on thousands of Android devices, RTÉ Player is Ireland’s leading on demand and catch-up service, providing Irish audiences with hundreds of hours of content across multiple genres every day. Giving audiences even more control over when and where they want to watch content, RTÉ Player on Android and iOS will feature all the great new season content from RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, RTÉ News Now and RTÉ Jr.
Since the RTÉ Player iOS launch in late 2012, it has been downloaded over 700,000 times with 60 million minutes of content streamed in July 2013 alone across all RTÉ Player devices. Audiences can watch selected programmes live plus catch up on a wide selection of programmes broadcast on RTÉ Television for up to 21 days after transmission. Easy to use, and visually stimulating, RTÉ Player audiences can browse programmes by name, category, date or by latest programme. In addition, seamless viewing allows audiences to save programmes as a favourite and pick up on a programme where you last viewed.
“A central part of RTÉ’s digital strategy is to ensure RTÉ’s content is available wherever and whenever the audience requires. RTÉ Player is about being where our audiences are, helping them to discover more, and putting the audience in control,” commented Aoife Byrne, Director of Content and Strategy, RTÉ Digital. “RTÉ Player is hugely successful across mobile and desktop already and we believe its design is best of breed. By extending the devices we’re available on, we’re bringing all the benefits of RTÉ’s great content across the new season to new audiences on Android.”
“ Since launching RTÉ Player, the service has evolved, and is now available across literally thousands of devices. We’re constantly evaluating what our audiences want, and defining our roadmaps accordingly. With 65% of RTÉ’s traffic on mobile, we are committed to extending our reach across mobile devices”, concluded Byrne. RTÉ Player is also available on iOS, PS3, Laptop, Desktop, Connected TV, and UPC. RTÉ Player on Android was tested extensively by the Production and Operations design team, and in order to provide the best user experience, the device will launch on operating systems with an OS of 4.0 and above.
Comedy such as Damo and Ivor a firm RTÉ Player favourite!
RTÉ Player will be packed with a new season of exceptional content , and in addition to Drama and Entertainment, News and Sport, comedy such as Damo and Ivor will feature heavily on the service.
Originally part of the RTÉ hit comedy show Republic of Telly, the satirical comedy about two identical twin brothers separated after birth has been a huge online hit. The new six part comedy drama will premiere on RTÉ Two and on RTÉ Player , on September 16th at 10.00 pm. Watch live or watch back, with highlights also available on RTÉ’s Republic of Comedy YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vdcl_i5DKY&feature=youtu.be
About RTÉ Digital
A central part of this strategy is to ensure RTÉ’s content is available wherever and whenever the audience requires. RTÉ Digital has harnessed the collective digital expertise of the organisation to bring high-quality content and services to Irish and international audiences across a range of platforms, devices and markets. In addition, RTÉ Digital manages and is developing its stable of industry-leading digital platforms and services RTÉ.ie, RTÉ Player and RTÉ News Now.
RTÉ Digital’s key priorities are to meet the needs of audiences now and in the future through innovation and technology, engagement with social media, and by playing an active role within the Digital Economy. The division also seeks to develop partnerships with industry-leading companies and organisations, in the areas of technology, design, device manufacture and content provision.
Media enquiries :
Caroline Stephens, RTÉ Digital Communications Manager
RTÉ Player Fact Sheet
- VOD usage has grown by 35% over the last 18 months
- 60 million minutes of content was streamed in July 2013 alone.
- RTÉ Player is Ireland’s leading on-demand TV and catch-up service
- Hundreds of hours of content area available (rights dependent) at any one time across multiple genres, for up to 21 days.
- 8 out of 10 Video on demand users in Ireland have used RTÉ Player
- It gained 300,000 users between January and June 2013
- Audiences enjoy the ability to control when and where they can watch their favourite programmes.
- RTÉ Player has proved extremely popular due to the availability of great content, ease of use, and increased availability across multiple devices
- RTÉ Player was built using HTML5 to deliver a single responsive interface for mobile, tablet and desktop
- The revised iOS version, launched late 2012, intuitive navigation and content discovery, as well as an instant search became part of RTÉ Player’s feature set.
- Favourite’s functionality allow users to save their favourite programmes within the service when signed in.
- Seamless viewing allows this collection of programmes are then available across any computer or device where the Player is available, and allows the user to pick up on any “Player” device from where they left off.
- Social Networking is another key feature. Directly integrated with Facebook’s Open Graph, viewers can share and discuss viewing choices with friends.
- 700,000 people have downloaded the iOS Apps, for iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone
- In July 2013 drama accounted for half of streams in July, with viewers particularly taking advantage of another opportunity to see Love/ Hate
- RTÉ Player had 11.5m page impressions in July, with 12% overseas streams.