RTÉ Player, Ireland’s number 1 on-demand service has achieved 1 million App downloads with a significant increase in usage on personal devices such as tablets driving growth
RTÉ Digital, 10th March 2014 The RTÉ Player, Ireland’s most popular on-demand service has achieved 1 million App downloads. RTÉ Player is available on multiple platforms, including iOS – iPod, iPhone, iPad – Android, Samsung Connected TV’s, Xbox 360, cable, and desktops.
“Audience engagement around content particularly on mobile devices is driving strong growth for us. With over 1 million downloads of the RTÉ Player App, this further highlights the appeal of consuming content on the go, and has led to a higher frequency of use amongst mobile users.” said Conor Mullen, Commercial Director, RTÉ Digital “Coupled with this, the choice of live or on-demand content, in addition to having a multi-device, multi platform strategy has enabled us to reach all audiences.”
- RTÉ Player’s usage is strongest in the under 35s.
- RTÉ Player is used by 44% of under 24s, and 41% of the 24-35 age range, with 40% of the RTÉ Player audience having children in the household.[ii]
- 30% of all those who have accessed the RTÉ Player have done so via Android devices, which is astonishing as it was only launched six months ago.[iii]
- The media landscape has seen VOD usage grow by 18% over the last 7 months, to a point where over 50% of the population have used Video on Demand, and over 60% of that audience use the RTÉ Player. [iv]
In any given month, RTÉ Player provides over 540 hours[v] of content across multiple genres from Entertainment, Drama, News and Sport, Lifestyle, Factual to Young People’s programming, with the most popular genres being Drama, News and Sport and Entertainment.
“We have seen a significant increase in usage on personal devices such as tablets and this is leading to different viewing patterns by audiences across the RTÉ Player platforms and we expect this pattern to continue as Irish consumers adopt tablets in their everyday use,” concluded Mullen.
About RTÉ Player at a glance
- 1 million App downloads (iOS and Android)
- Available on iOS, Android, Xbox 360, Samsung Connected TV, Desktop and cable.
- Over 540 hours of content available in the Republic of Ireland on any given month
- Most popular genres the most popular genres being Drama, News and Sport and Entertainment.
- 30% of all those who have accessed the RTÉ Player have done so via Android devices, which is astonishing as it was only launched six months ago,
- 40% have accessed the service via iOS[vi]
- A young user base, the survey showed RTÉ Player is used by 44% of under 24s, and 41% of the 24-35 age range.[vii]
About RTÉ Digital
A central part of this strategy is to ensure RTÉ’s content is available wherever and whenever the audience requires. RTÉ Digital has harnessed the collective digital expertise of the organisation to bring high-quality content and services to Irish and international audiences across a range of platforms, devices and markets. In addition, RTÉ Digital manages and is developing its stable of industry-leading digital platforms and services RTÉ.ie, RTÉ Player and RTÉ News Now.
RTÉ Digital’s key priorities are to meet the needs of audiences now and in the future through innovation and technology, engagement with social media, and by playing an active role to support the Digital Economy. The division also seeks to develop partnerships with industry-leading companies and organisations, in the areas of technology, design, device manufacture and content provision.