RTÉ Player launches on thousands of new Android devices
Fulfilling its ambition around a multi-device strategy, Android launch will make hundreds of hours of content available to Irish audiences, anytime and anywhere.
3rd September 2013; RTÉ Digital; Available from today on nearly 2,000 Android devices*, RTÉ Player is Ireland’s leading on demand and catch-up service, providing Irish audiences with hundreds of hours of content across multiple genres every day. A central part of RTÉ’s digital strategy is to ensure RTÉ’s content is available wherever and whenever the audience requires, and the expansion of this service to Android is another step in realising this ambition.
The existing service on desktop and iOS has over 11.5 million page impressions monthly, with over 700,000 iOS downloads. Providing a staggering 60 million minutes of coverage during July 2013, the new Android App, which is available on nearly 2,000 Android devices, will appeal to the tech savvy young user base. According to B&A Research 48% of those using the RTÉ Player on a weekly basis are under 34.
‘As audiences continue to shift viewing content on personal devices, RTÉ is now in a position to reach the fastest growing area via Android. With almost 60% of the Irish population now owning a smartphone device , 27% of the population are already viewing RTÉ Player on mobile devices on a weekly basis*. With the development of the RTÉ Player on Android this is set to accelerate. From an advertising perspective, RTÉ Player now reaches audiences across the majority of devices and is an essential requirement on brand media plans”, commented Conor Mullen, Commercial Director, RTÉ Digital, “Coupled with this reach, advertisers are partnering with trusted and engaging content which appeals to a brand’s most attractive audience. We expect our reach to grow as audiences adopt RTÉ Player across literally thousands of devices, marrying exceptional content with the device of their choice.”
“ Since launching RTÉ Player, the service has evolved significantly, and we are constantly evaluating what our audiences want, and refining our roadmaps accordingly”, concluded Mullen “With 65% of RTÉ’s traffic already coming from mobile devices, this development builds on our strategy to deliver the content audiences want wherever they are.”
“The RTÉ Player has the content and intuitiveness that our audience loves and is the favourite On Demand player In Ireland. With these combined, marketers know that their advertising is appearing in a trusted and brand safe environment delivering the highest impact”, concluded Mullen.
*Source : Google
RTÉ Player Fact Sheet
- VOD usage has grown by 35% over the last 18 months
- 60 million minutes of content was streamed in July 2013 alone.
- RTÉ Player is Ireland’s leading on-demand TV and catch-up service
- Hundreds of hours of content area available (rights dependent) at any one time across multiple genres, for up to 21 days.
- 8 out of 10 Video on demand users in Ireland have used RTÉ Player
- It gained 300,000 users between January and June 2013
- Audiences enjoy the ability to control when and where they can watch their favourite programmes.
- RTÉ Player has proved extremely popular due to the availability of great content, ease of use, and increased availability across multiple devices
- RTÉ Player was built using HTML5 to deliver a single responsive interface for mobile, tablet and desktop
- Since the iOS launch in late 2012, intuitive navigation and content discovery, as well as an instant search became part of RTÉ Player’s feature set.
- Favourite’s functionality allow users to save their favourite programmes within the service when signed in.
- Seamless viewing allows this collection of programmes are then available across any computer or device where the Player is available, and allows the user to pick up on any “Player” device from where they left off.
- Social Networking is another key feature. Directly integrated with Facebook’s Open Graph, viewers can share and discuss viewing choices with friends.
- 700,000 people have downloaded the iOS Apps, for iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone
- In July 2013 drama accounted for half of streams in July, with viewers particularly taking advantage of another opportunity to see Love/ Hate
- RTÉ Player had 11.5m page impressions in July, with 12% overseas streams.
About RTÉ Digital
A central part of this strategy is to ensure RTÉ’s content is available wherever and whenever the audience requires. RTÉ Digital has harnessed the collective digital expertise of the organisation to bring high-quality content and services to Irish and international audiences across a range of platforms, devices and markets. In addition, RTÉ Digital manages and is developing its stable of industry-leading digital platforms and services RTÉ.ie, RTÉ Player and RTÉ News Now.
RTÉ Digital’s key priorities are to meet the needs of audiences now and in the future through innovation and technology, engagement with social media, and by playing an active role within the Digital Economy. The division also seeks to develop partnerships with industry-leading companies and organisations, in the areas of technology, design, device manufacture and content provision.
Media enquiries :
Caroline Stephens, RTÉ Digital Communications Manager